Saturday, September 5, 2009

Something's not right??

On July 3, 2007 I took  my first dose of Lupron. I remember telling my husband that the medicine stung going in, but I was feeling fine. On July 4th, I woke up with a headache, but knew that it was a side effect of the medication, so I didn't think too much about it. Later in the day, I started having other minor side effects..stomach pain and dizziness. Again, I didn't think too much about it. I knew if I wanted to get pregnant I had to do this, in the end it would be worth a little discomfort.
That evening, I drove to my parents house to watch the fireworks. I was supposed to sleep at my sister's house, so I could watch her newborn son while she went to work the next morning. I was complaining to my mother that I still had a headache that would not go away. It was getting worse, but I was still able to function. My sister and I decided to call it a night around 9, so when we got back to her house, I took my second dose of the Lupron and went to bed.
When I woke up on July 5th. I wanted to die. My head hurt so badly and the thought of watching my nephew scared me half to death. I didn't know if I would be able to take care of him. I thought "God it hurts just to pick my head up! How am I going to change and feed him?" I didn't want to disappoint my sister, so I told her I was fine and she left for work around 8. My mother called me to say she was going to stop by my sister's house to see the baby and to check on me. I told her she was welcome to come by. When my mother got there I told her my head was really hurting. She offered to let me leave and she would watch the baby. I told her that I could tough it out until my sister got home from work. My sister came home from work around three and I decided that I needed to leave, so I could go home and lay down. At the time, I lived about an hour and a half away from my family. I started driving home and about an hour into the drive I realized my vision was getting blurry. I had just gotten onto the Interstate when suddenly I developed "tunnel vision". I had never been so scared in all my life. I couldn't pull over because I couldn't see if anyone was beside me. I saw my phone and I called my husband crying that I couldn't see. He told me to pull over and he would come get me, but I tried to explain I couldn't. I drove the rest of the way home pulled into my driveway, went into the house, and collapsed on the couch. When my husband got home I told him I was not going to take this medicine again. I would finish the medicine so we could try the IVF procedure, but if it didn't work, then we could just adopt. I took the dose of Lupron that night, took some Tylenol PM, and went to bed. I just needed to get rid of this headache!
That morning started like any other morning. My husband got up for work. He took a shower, got dressed, and before heading out the door he gave me a kiss. I mumbled something to him. He asked me to repeat myself and garbage came out of my mouth. Nothing that made any sense. I remember being confused and still in a lot of pain. I could actually hear myself talking to my husband and it didn't sound like me. The voice was the same, but something was strange, but I couldn't put my finger on it. My husband quickly disappeared into the other room and began making phone calls. We he came back into the room I remember he grabbed my winter coat and put it on me (in July!!!) and said we needed to go to a doctor's appointment. I remember knowing something wasn't right, but not being able to concentrate hard enough to ask my husband questions. I remember driving past the "turn-off" to the doctor's office and realizing I was going to the hospital. By now, I was scared. I knew it was bad if my husband was driving me to the hospital and not telling me why he was taking me.
When we got to the hospital which was less that 10 miles from my house, all I can really remember is the doctor and nurses asking me tons of questions I couldn't answer. I kept saying "I'm sorry" over and over. I was so confused. I couldn't understand why they weren't helping me with the pain. I knew they were giving me medicine, but it wasn't easing the pain at all. My husband later told me that the doctors didn't know what was wrong with me. He had to tell the ER doctors that he spoke with Duke and the doctor there said to get me to the hospital because it sounded like I had suffered a stroke. The ER doctor didn't believe my husband. He thought because we lived in a college town that I probably had meningitis, so they treated me for that. That medicine is a nasty medicine it makes people act mean and hateful, which is not my normal behavior. I asking my husband if we "were done yet?" Saying,"I want to go home."